Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Update On Beck

Got a lot of pushback on the last post, so I thought I'd clarify. No, Glenn Beck is not a 9-11 Truther. But he is drinking the Kool-Aid on a lot of other conspiracy theory stuff. When somebody tells me he can't debunk the FEMA camps, I do not assume he's talking about the potential relocation camps that may be needed in the event of another natural disaster like Katrina. When he says:

If you trust our government, it’s fine. If you have any kind of fear that we might be heading towards a totalitarian state: look out. Buckle up. There’s something going on in our country … that ain’t good.


I smell the same kind of paranoid nuttery that we get from the "Truthers". Yes, he has denounced the "Truthers" in the past, but you know how it is, he'll happily pick up two or three other zany things that Alex Jones obsesses about.

There is a responsible opposition to the Obama Administration, just as there was a responsible opposition to the Bush Administration. And then there is the loony opposition to the Obama Administration, just as there was the loony opposition to Bush. I am not going to withhold criticism from the loons on my side of the fence politically. Arguably it's off-topic here, but we have covered the fevered fantasies of the FEMA camps here in the past.

And the 9-11 Troofers are doing nothing right now, so I've got nothing else to cover.